Makins is regarded of one of the best UK commercial fisheries. The 18 lakes which provide 600 pegs, attract top anglers from around the country to the heart of Warwickshire. An arm aching session is guaranteed for everyone – matchmen, pleasure anglers or specimen hunters.
A typical Makins Phase 1 carp:
Makins is divided into 3 areas:
Phase 1 – this is the oldest section of the fishery – it is these legendary lakes which helped build the venues reputation as the best fishery in the Midlands.
- Lake 1 – use strong tackle in here, the 4.75 acre lake contains 35lb+ carp
- Lake 2 – the lake with the reputation of being the best match venue in the country.
- Lake 3 – this is now used as a stock pond
- Lake 4 – packed with carp, bream, roach and perch – this lake comes into its own in the warmer months, fishing up in the water.
- Lake 5 – a big head of “doubles” – take lots of bait in the summer! This lake is rarely used for matches
Phase 2 – these lakes are slightly smaller than those in Phase One and provide lots of features such as inlets, bays, islands and irregular shapes – great features for pole fishing.
- Lagoon – possibly the most popular lake on the venue – pretty much a guaranteed bagging session
- Lizard – a great lake with fishy features on every peg
- Crater – if you want to bag a stillwater barbel then this would be your best bet
- Snake – a very consistent lake, each peg could be a winner – there are lots of ghost carp in there!
- Paddock – a great pleasure lake, depending on tactics you will be bagging on carp or silvers all day
- Reptile – a perfect club match venue, midweek it is generally enjoyed by pleasure anglers
- Little Reptile – a smaller lake with a big head of fish.. what more could you ask for?
- Anchor – a silverfish only lake – bag on roach, perch, barbel and bream
- Avon – a canal type venue, which provides pole caught 100lb+ bags all year round
- Derwent – a mixed stock venue, your catch will include a very wide range of species
- Inner Avon – a scenic lake, but you may be too busy catching double figures carp, roach, perch, tench or bream to notice
- Severn – designed for pole fishing where most features are just 12m away
- Thames – a consistent pole lake where bulging bags are pretty much guaranteed in all seasons
Main Species at Makins Fishery
Rules and Restrictions
- Barbless hooks only
- No bloodworm / joker / floating baits
- Only ‘Dynamite Baits Betaine Green Swim Stim Pellets’ to be used as feed
- No keepnets (except in authorised competitions)
- One rod only (2nd rod allowed subject to additional payment)
- No litter
- No open fires or barbeques
- No dogs or cyclists
- Fishing from designated pegs only
- No alcohol
- Night fishing available by special arrangement
Day Tickets, Membership and Prices
The venue is typically open from 7am until dusk.
- Adults Day Ticket: £7 (1 rod) or £10 (2 rods)
- Adults Evening Ticket: (from 3pm): £5
- Concessions: £5 (1 rod) or £8 (2 rods)
- Concessions Evening Ticket: (from 3pm): £5
Find out more information
Telephone: 01455 220877
Address: Bazzard Road, Bramcote, Warwickshire, CV11 6QJ.
From the North M1
Travelling southbound exit at Junction 21 and take the M69. Leave the M69 at junction 1, then at the roundabout take the 2nd exit onto B4109 towards Wolvey. On entering Wolvey village turn right at the second mini-roundabout and continue on the B4109 towards Bulkington. The Phase 3 car park is 300 yards on left; Phase 2 car park 300 yards on right; and Phase 1 car park is 300 yards further on down Bazzard Road.
From the South M1 & M6
Travelling from the M1 Northbound exit at Junction 19 and go onto the M6. Leave the M6 at junction 2 keep in right hand lane, then at roundabout take the 1st exit onto the B4065. At the traffic lights turn left onto B4029 Bulkington Road. At the mini roundabout turn left onto Withybrook Road (B4112) then turn right onto Wolvey Road. Turn left onto Bazzard Road and continue 300 yards then turn right into Phase 1 car park. Alternatively, continue 300 yards and the Phase 2 car park is on your left, with the Phase 3 car park another 300 yards on your right.
Sat Nav Postcode: CV11 6QJ