Makins is regarded of one of the best UK commercial fisheries. The 18 lakes which provide 600 pegs, attract top anglers from around the country to the heart of Warwickshire. An arm aching session is guaranteed for everyone – matchmen, pleasure anglers or specimen hunters. Makins helped to kickstart the spread of commercial fisheries around the country when it was built during the early 90s. The blueprint that was developed here has been adopted and copied by many other venues.
A typical Makins Phase 1 carp:
Makins is divided into 3 areas:
Phase One – this is the oldest section of the fishery – it is these legendary lakes which helped build the venues reputation as the best fishery in the Midlands.
- Lake 1 – use strong tackle in here, the 4.75 acre lake contains 35lb+ carp
- Lake 2 – the lake with the reputation of being the best match venue in the country.
- Lake 3 – this is now used as a stock pond
- Lake 4 – packed with carp, bream, roach and perch – this lake comes into its own in the warmer months, fishing up in the water.
- Lake 5 – a big head of “doubles” – take lots of bait in the summer! This lake is rarely used for matches
Phase Two – these lakes are slightly smaller than those in Phase One and provide lots of features such as inlets, bays, islands and irregular shapes – great features for pole fishing.
- Lagoon – possibly the most popular lake on the venue – pretty much a guaranteed bagging session
- Lizard – a great lake with fishy features on every peg
- Crater – if you want to bag a stillwater barbel then this would be your best bet
- Snake – a very consistent lake, each peg could be a winner – there are lots of ghost carp in there!
- Paddock – a great pleasure lake, depending on tactics you will be bagging on carp or silvers all day
- Reptile – a perfect club match venue, midweek it is generally enjoyed by pleasure anglers
- Little Reptile – a smaller lake with a big head of fish.. what more could you ask for?
Phase Three – the latest completed section offers 130 extra match swims.
- Anchor – a silverfish only lake – bag on roach, perch, barbel and bream
- Avon – a canal type venue, which provides pole caught 100lb+ bags all year round
- Derwent – a mixed stock venue, your catch will include a very wide range of species
- Inner Avon – a scenic lake, but you may be too busy catching double figures carp, roach, perch, tench or bream to notice
- Severn – designed for pole fishing where most features are just 12m away
- Thames – a consistent pole lake where bulging bags are pretty much guaranteed in all seasons